The following books are suggested to supplement and expand the material of the course.
The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers by Paul Kennedy
- The Guns of August: The Outbreak of World War I by Barbara W. Tuchman
- The Proud Tower: A Portrait of the World Before the War, 1890-1914 by Barbara W. Tuchman
The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam by Barbara W. Tuchman
Just And Unjust Wars: A Moral Argument With Historical Illustrations by Michael Walzer
The following articles are intended to supplement the course. Many of these are available online.
- Arquilla, John and Ronfeldt, David. “The Advent of Netwar” RAND, Corporation. MR-789-OSD. 1996.
- Biddle, Stephen D. and Friedman, Jeffrey A. “The 2006 Lebanon Campaign and the Future of Warfare: Implications for Army and Defense Policy”. Strategic Studies Institute, United States Army War College. September 25, 2008.
- Cassidy, Robert M. 2006, Counterinsurgency and the global war on terror : military culture and irregular war / Robert M. Cassidy Praeger. 2006
- Hammes, T.X. "The Evolution of War: The Fourth Generation", Marine Corps Gazette, September 1994.
- Hammes, T. X. (Colonel USMC, Retired.) "Developments in 4GW", Military Review, May-June 2007. www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/milreview/hammes-4gw_and-5th.pdf
- Hammes, T.X., “Fourth generation warfare evolves, fifth emerges.” Military Review. May 01, 2007.
- Lind, William S. "Understanding Fourth Generation Warfare". Military Review, September-October, 2004. http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/milreview/lind.pdf
- William S. Lind, Colonel Keith Nightengale (USA), Captain John F. Schmitt (USMC), Colonel Joseph W. Sutton (USA), and Lieutenant Colonel Gary I. Wilson (USMCR), “The Changing Face of War: Into the Fourth Generation”. Marine Corps Gazette, October 1989. http://www.mca-marines.org/files/The%20Changing%20Face%20of%20War%20-%20Into%20the%20Fourth%20Generation.pdf
- Merom, Gil. How Democracies Lose Small Wars: State, Society, and the Failures of France in Algeria, Israel in Lebanon, and the United States in Vietnam. New York: Cambridge Univ. Press, 2003.
- Page, Jeremy, “Guerrilla tactics - how the Tamil Tigers were beaten in an ‘unwinnable’ war”. The Times. May 19, 2009
- Radlauer, Don, "An Engineeered Tragedy: Statistical Analysis of Casualties in the Palestinian - Israeli Conflict,
September 2000 - September 2002
- Radlauer, Don, “Online Communities as Pathways to Extremism”, In Boaz Ganor, Katharina von. Knop, and Carlos Duarte, editors, Hypermedia Seduction for Terrorist Recruiting.
- Radlauer, Don. “Rational Choice Deterrence and Israeli Counter-Terrorism”. In Intelligence and Security Informatics. Springer Berlin / Heidelberg. 2005.
- Shahar, Yael. “The internet as a tool for intelligence and counter–terrorism.” In Boaz Ganor, Katharina von. Knop, and Carlos Duarte, editors, Hypermedia Seduction for Terrorist Recruiting.
- Shahar, Yael. "Al-Qaida: A vindication for Constructivism?"
- Van Creveld, Martin. “The Fate of the State”, Parameters, Spring 1996, pp. 4-18.